A More Restful Night with SleepTight
Mandibular Advancement Devices – do they work? As a long time sufferer of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, I was willing to give anything a try, having endured years of fitful sleep and irritated partners. Having tried a number of methods to curb my snoring, with limited to no success, I decided to test out the SleepTight Mouthpiece after a glowing recommendation from a friend. Released in 2014, this mouthpiece is relatively new to the MAD market and has some exceptional reviews online. I was still a little skeptical at first (after all, nothing has worked for me thus far) but a few weeks into using this device I am delighted with the results! Let’s start out with the pros and cons of the product:
- Expert design: The SleepTight mouthpiece was created by Dr. Mark Williams, a man with both professional expertise and personal experience on his side. A dentist and fellow snorer, this man has excellent credentials and has successfully produced a sleeping aid that is cleverly designed and effective to use.
- Cost: The full price of the SleepTight MAD is $69.96, which is quite an investment if you are unsure of whether it is right for you. However, there is no need to pay the entire fee up front – for just $9.95 you can purchase a 30-day trial of the product with no obligation to pay the rest if you are dissatisfied.
- Custom Fit: This product can be custom designed to fit your mouth at home, with the incredible simple ‘boil and bite’ method. This is so easy to do and ensures a good tight fit that prevents the device from slipping out in the night.
- FDA Approved: This is a nice reassuring touch, as it speaks for the high quality and safety of the product.
- Long Lifespan: With proper care, this device can last for up to two years before it needs replacing, which more than offsets the cost of the product.
- Easy to clean: This is absolutely essential for something intended to be worn in the mouth, and the SleepTight mouthpiece is so easy to keep clean and hygienic.
- Comfort: Surprisingly, the mouthpiece was quite comfortable once I got used to it. It doesn’t feel too bulky in the mouth and the inner material is nice and soft.
- Effectiveness: It works! By creating a clear passage for air to pass through the throat and mouth, the SleepTight mouthpiece effectively puts a stop to snoring.
- Initial Discomfort: Going to bed with a mouthpiece in is a strange feeling and one that takes some adapting to. The first couple of nights I noticed a lot of excess salivation, but this turned out to be a temporary issue (maybe sleep with a towel on the pillow those first few nights!) I also woke up with slightly sore gums the first morning, though, again, this was something that wore off after the first couple of days.
- Staining: Don’t make the mistake I did and clean the device with blue mouthwash, it stains the material!
How Do You Use It?
Fitting the device to your mouth is incredibly simple and hassle-free, and can be done easily and quickly in the comfort of your own home. Simply drop the mouthpiece into boiling water for a few minutes, allow it to cool off a little, insert it into the mouth and bite down. Once you’ve molded it to fit the shape of your mouth, you simply drop it in cold water to set. I didn’t get it quite right the first time, but not to worry – you can repeat this process up to five times before the material becomes unusable, and I managed it on my second try! Once you have a good fit, you just place it in your mouth before you sleep.
So How Does a MAD Work?
The SleepTight mouthpiece works by gently holding the lower jaw and tongue forward, creating a clear air passage in the throat that allows you to breathe more easily while you sleep. It has a large air hole in the front as well, so if you are a night-time mouth-breather (as most of us are) it doesn’t obstruct airflow, as some other MADs have been known to do. This reduces the vibrations in the throat, soft palate, and tongue as you sleep and – hey presto – no more snoring!
And Did It Work?
It absolutely did, much to my delight! From the very first night, my snoring ceased and I woke to feel refreshed and replenished in a way I haven’t for years. My OSA has often caused me to wake up in the night, as my breathing is often interrupted by the obstruction in my throat, but with the SleepTight MAD, I slept right through to the morning. The true test was in how well my wife had slept, though, and she was overjoyed to tell me that I had slept soundlessly. Not a single snore, just the sound of smooth, natural breathing all night. The device worked perfectly, staying put right through until the morning and effectively silencing my snoring, allowing both myself and my wife a full and undisturbed sleep!
Would I Recommend This Product?
Of course! OK, it takes some adapting to, but if you can persevere through that first couple of nights and not be put off by a little drooling and gum soreness, this is a really effective solution for chronic snorers. Thoughtfully and professionally designed, the boil and bite method and soft internal material mean that it fits snugly and comfortably in the mouth, and the harder external layer of material makes it durable and long-lasting. Another advantage of this device over others on the market is that it is suitable for partial denture wearers – so long as you have a few upper and lower teeth to anchor it in place, it will fit securely in your mouth and stay there until morning.
The low upfront cost of $9.95 makes this device very affordable to try out, and if you’re as pleased with the results as I am you’ll be more than happy to pay the full amount after the initial 30-day trial. Given that it lasts up to two years before needing a replacement (provided you aren’t a tooth-grinder!), this product really is excellent value for money.
Of course, the biggest recommendation I can give this product is that it works a charm. Two weeks in, and I can honestly say that this is long term solution to what has been a persistent problem for most of my adult life. Aside from waking feeling better rested and more alert, my general health has improved in the time I’ve been using it. Gone are the fatigue headaches, gone are the sore throats and gone is that foggy feeling of not having had a full night’s sleep… and gone is the complaining from those I had previously kept awake!